Clinical Undergraduate Placement at Casterton Memorial Hospital
On behalf of the nursing division we look foward to your time at Casterton Memorial Hospital and hope it will be a productive and great learning experience for you
The following paperwork must be returned on your first day, or you will be unable to commence your placement.
- Commencement Form
- Signed Position Description
- Signed Statutory Declaration Form
- Copy of Current Police Check - All students must hold a current National Police Check. It is the responsibility of the University and students to ensure that prior to the commencement of placements all students hold a current Police Check. If a current Police Check is not held by the student, they will be refused attendance.
- Statement of Immunization
- Confidentiality Agreement
Download commencement paperwork from here.
Uniform is your university issue. Please ensure you bring your nametag with you.
It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that they are current with all immunisations as recommended by the Australian Immunisation Handbook 2014 - Hepatitis B, Influenza, Polio, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Pertussis, Varicella. Students must sign the Statement of Immunisation form in the commencement package and return on their first day.
Students are required to phone the hospital on 03 55542555 to request a copy of their roster. Rosters will be published two weeks in advance. Roster requests can be discussed and directed to Manager of Nursing Services on the above number.
Attendance & Absenteeism
All students in Acute and Residential Care ubdertake a full day orientation on their first day from 0930 -1530 hours. This is usually the Monday, but it may be a Tuesday if a public holiday occurs that week.
All Community Health and District Nursing students are to present at 0730 hours and undertake their orientation in the community health area.
Acute and Residential Care
0700 - 1530 hours ("A" or "M")
1430 - 2300 hours ("B" or "E")
2245 - 0715 hours ("G" or "N" - 3rd year students only)
Community Health and District Nursing
0730-1600 hours ("D" or "CH")
Students are to notify the hospital immediately on 03 5554 2555 if they are unable to attend their placement for any reason, or if they will be late arriving to their shift. The student should provide either a medical certificate or statutory declaration explaining their absence on their return.
Accommodation & Meals
Accommodation is available at a cost of $15 per night, per person and is in a self-contained house with three (3) bedrooms and can house up to 4 students at a time. If you wish to use accommodation, you must contact reception on 03 55542555 as soon as possible to ensure it is booked. As this service is in demand bookings are done on a first come, first served basis.
All bedding is provided but if you prefer your own pillow or extra doona for warmth please bring it with you. We only charge for the nights you actually sleep over.
Laundry facilities are provided in house.
Alternative accommodation in Casterton:
Glenelg Inn Hotel/Mote,l 2 Henty St, CASTERTON 03 55811988
B & B - Clarke St Accommodation, 6 Clarke St, CASTERTON 03 55812228
The Bank House (Apartment) - 78 Henty St CASTERTON 0355811683
Albion Hotel/Motel, 25 Henty St CASTERTON 03 55811092
Meals are available for all students by ordering on the staff menu. Menus vary everyday and orders must be completed prior to 1030 hours for lunch and 1500 hours for tea. The staff menu is displayed in the dining room along with the price for each meal.
Payment for meals and accommodation must be made prior to you finishing your placement.
Public transport in Casterton consistes of VLine bus which goes from Casterton to Melbourne daily except for Saturday. If you need to use this service for your clinical placement, we would set your roster to ensure that you would be finished your shift in good time to catch the bus.
Code of Conduct
The following are expectations of the student as a training healthcare professional.
- be punctual and reliable
- behave in a responsible, reliable and dependable manner
- project a professional image in your manner, dress, speech and interpersonal relationships
- treat other health professionals with respect and courtesy
- place concern for clients above personal requirements for study and social activities
- wear identification badges at all times
- be aware supervisor and other staff need to meet their daily work requirements in addition to providing learning opportunities for students
- be aware of, and follow, the guidelines of the Privacy Act especially when dealing with patients in order to protect their privacy.
Student Exit Survey
We also ask you to complete the Exit Survey when you have completed your placement which can be accessed by following the link below.
STUDENT EXIT SURVEY
Things to do and see in Casterton
Please visit the Casterton Visitor Information Centre for interesting thoings to see and do during your stay at Casteton.
Casterton Visitor Information Centre